In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed groups and de facto authorities in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Geneva Call is looking for a Communication Intern to support the organization’s global communications efforts. The Communication Intern will be part of Geneva Call’s Global Engagement Unit and will report directly to the Communication Assistant.
- Contributing to website updates and to posts on social media (Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter).
- Creating infographics and visuals for online and offline communications.
- Supporting in the creation of reports and the Annual Report.
- Conducting media monitoring on Geneva Call’s presence in the press locally and internationally.
- Assisting with writing and editing articles, reports, letters, and press releases.
- Translating between English and French.
- Monitoring and assessing social media and website analytics.
- Taking and storing photos.
- Assisting with event organization and management.
- Improving multimedia and key documents management (e.g. selection of best images, uploading to and classifying in the database).
- Training Geneva Call’s staff on basic communication skills.
- Supporting the department’s other activities, as required by the Head of the Global Engagement Unit.
- Involved or completed a BA degree in communication, journalism, international relations, humanitarian affairs or a relevant field.
- Proficiency in English with a strong command of written and oral French is required. Other languages (especially Spanish and Arabic) are an asset.
- Advanced writing, analytical and communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong command of social media tools and platforms as well as Office tools, including Microsoft Office, WordPress, Canva, Adobe Suite, and Google Analytics.
- Skills in photography and graphic design are a strong asset.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: Communication Intern
- Type of contract: Internship contract (with tripartite agreement)
- Activity rate: 100%
- Remuneration: 1500 CHF gross per month
- Workplace: Geneva, Switzerland
- Duration: 6 months
- Preferred start date: 1st August, 2023
Candidates should be Swiss nationals or hold a Swiss work permit. Candidates must fall into one of the following three categories:
- Current student: mandatory or optional internships pursued while the intern is enrolled in a course of study leading to a degree or professional qualification.
- Orientation internships pursued shortly after the completion of a first degree (e.g. Bachelor's) or prior to an advanced degree (e.g. Master's) on condition that the university awarding the degree attests the relevance and usefulness of the internship.
- Internships pursued with the aim of assisting the intern's social or professional reintegration, under the oversight of the cantonal or federal-level authorities.
No later than 16 July, 2023.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.