Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence. Geneva Call’s mission is to ensure that armed groups and de facto authorities (AGDA) respect International Humanitarian Law and basic humanitarian principles in the areas where they fight or they control.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
The HR Officer will support in the day-to-day implementation of the Human Resources related responsibilities. The position holder will be implementing various matters related to talent acquisition, performance management, payroll, duty of care and operational HR activities in the country office. The duties will also encompass proper implementation and reinforcement on GC Terms of Employment, and coordination with country office HR staff on related issues. The job holder receives functional guidance from HR and operational guidance from the Support Coordinator / Country Director.
- Advocate GC’s culture and values.
- Ensure compliance with GC’ policies and the local labor law in all procedures and processes.
- Drive implementation of related policies, procedures, and practices; provide capacity building to staff to ensure proper implementation.
- Contribute to the design/modification of Human Resources policies, processes, and procedures when needed, in alignment with HR Field Coordinator.
- Responsible for the HR administration and focal point for employees on HR related questions.
- Provide training sessions and capacity building activities to employees and conduct induction presentations for new joiners.
- Lead the local recruitment and payroll process.
- Prepare periodic related reports on activities and as requested by the line manager.
- Build and maintain an HR network with local frame of reference organisations
- Promote GC’s expected organizational behavior, values and culture among staff in terms trough awareness/induction sessions.
- Act as HR business partner to country director and local senior management; handles confidential information.
- Ensure that GC’s related activities are implemented within GC’s mainstreaming guidelines and report any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action.
- Act as a focal point for the HR system and ensure that the system is working based on the standards.
- Lead the joiners & leavers procedures; ensure checklists are well established and implemented. Facilitate the local on-boarding program in collaboration with operations.
- Duty of care: act as a focal point for employees, ensuring the health, and well-being of employees, in alignment with HR Field Coordinator.
- Ensure proper implementation of terms of employment and related policies including leaves, holidays, allowances and benefits, and others.
- Ensure continuous filing of all related forms, templates, documents, and legal papers in their respective files (hard & soft).
- Prepare monthly reports related to payroll, performance management and HR metrics with regular update of staff database (NOVATIVE).
- Follow up and ensure proper implementation of daily workers and consultancy policies at country level.
- Carry out recruitment activities including requesting positions, shortlisting qualified candidates, conducting interviews and reference checks, and requesting job offers.
- Ensure enrolment for social contributions and insurance packages of all staff members with proper support in related inquiries.
- Request working visas and handle communication with local authorities & lawyers.
- Prepare and submit employee data for payrolling, pay slips to employees, in alignment with timelines, legal requirements according to the labor law, and approval requirements.
- Perform other relevant HR tasks as requested by the line manager.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR, Business Administration or any other related field.
- 2-5 years of relevant HR experience in a humanitarian organization.
- Proven track record of field work experience with INGOs in conflict and crisis affected countries and emergency contexts.
- Understanding of the local labor law.
- Strong planning and organizing skills.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Fluency in English and arabic, written and spoken; local dialects and other languages are a plus.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position : HR Officer
- Type of Contract: Fixed term contract
- Activity rate: 100%
- Work place: Sudan
- Preferred start date: as soon as possible
No later than 6 July, 2023.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.