Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and the protection of the medical mission.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
The Project Officer will support the design, planning and implementation of activities of GC in the Philippines for the Ministry of Finland-funded project: "ENHANCING RESPECT FOR HUMANITARIAN NORMS IN SOUTHERN PHILIPPINES: INFLUENCING ARMED ACTORS TOWARDS THE BETTER PROTECTION OF CIVILIANS", in accordance with programme and budget plans, internal procedures and guidelines, as well as donor requirements. The objective of the intervention is to contribute to the better protection of civilians from the effects of non-international armed conflicts and local conflicts. The geographical focus of the project will be the mainland BARMM provinces of Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao, as well as adjacent areas populated by the Bangsamoro with similar conflict dynamics or risks of protection concerns such as parts of Lanao del Norte, North Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat and Sarangani provinces.
The Project Officer will take the lead in implementing specific project activities in the field, such as awareness-raising, meetings, trainings, workshops and coordinating initiatives with partners, as well as monitoring and reporting on contextual developments.
I. Planning, Implementation & Reporting
- Support development and implementation of approaches to promote civilian protection, increase respect for international humanitarian norms and prevent violence, particularly during or following a disaster crisis in conflict contexts in Maguindanao, North Cotabato, Bukidnon, Lanao del Sur, Lanao del Norte, South Cotabato and Sultan Kudarat;
- Participate in the drafting of project plans, budgets, and monitoring plans;
- Responsible for quality project implementation, incl. activities such as trainings and workshops, and monitoring in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Monitor the implementation of project activities, outputs and outcomes, submitting required reporting and documentation accurately and on time, including supporting local partners in their reporting;
- Collect, analyse and document information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact on Geneva Call’s work in project area(s);
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures and following up on incidents as necessary.
II. Communications & External Relations
- Provide inputs to the design of innovative electronic (video, radio, social media) and print (booklets, posters, flyers etc.) communications materials adapted to the local context;
- Provide material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about project activities and timely reports to showcase achievements;
- Engage community-based stakeholders, local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist Project Coordinator, Head of Programme and/or Head of Mission in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders; draft speaking points and messages for colleagues at Geneva Call.
III. Administrative and Finance tasks
- Follow all administrative and finance procedures;
- Release resources to partners/projects as per approved plans and agreements and reimbursement and/or liquidation of project expenditures;
- Monitor and report on all project expenses of budgets and available funding, including supporting documents.
IV. Other Duties
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences and other fora of interest to the organisation;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager.
Education and experience
- At least 3 years in a humanitarian/ civil society organisation working in conflict-affected areas;
- Completed degree of Higher Education in relevant field such as Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights.
- Designing and implementing capacity-building programmes;
- Developing professional relationships with various stakeholders in a neutral and objective manner;
- Protection, disaster risk reduction or humanitarian work;
- Reporting, monitoring and research;
- Software skills (MS Office, Excel, KoBo Toolbox, graphic design tools, social media, email);
- Human Rights Law, International Humanitarian Law, Islamic Law;
- Knowledge of relevant international, national and regional policy and legal frameworks;
- In-depth knowledge of the conflict context in Central Mindanao.
- Excellent English and Tagalog required;
- Local dialects (Maguindanaoan, Maranao, Iranun, Bisaya, Hiligaynon, Higaonon, Bukid, T’boli, Teduray etc.) preferred.
- Understanding and respect for organisational principles and confidentiality;
- Strong logic and organisational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change;
- Leadership qualities and unwavering integrity;
- Ability to take responsibility, strong communication skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Proven ability to work well with colleagues and partners from diverse ethnic/cultural backgrounds;
- Accuracy and reliability, ability to reach results and meet deadlines under pressure.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the GC Performance Management p. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The individual Work- and Professional Development Plan
- The Competency Framework
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Project Officer
- Type of Contract: Fixed term, National position
- Activity rate: 100%
- Work place: Cotabato City, The Philippines
- Preferred start date: July 15th, 2022
No later than June 30th, 2022.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.